One of the extreme limits of publication ethics violation observed recently through a paper published in the Journal of Elsevier. The name of the journal is “Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells“. The title of the article was “Ageing effects of perovskite solar cells under different environmental factors and electrical load conditions” and authors “ Zaeem Aslam, Hifsa Shahid, Zeeshan Mehmood” were affiliated from “Centre for Energy Research and Development, University of Engineering & Technology Lahore, UET“. This paper was published in above said journal dated October 2018, Volume 185 and pages 471-476.
Article Matrics on website
This article was read by the 15 readers till to date i.e. 19/10/2018 and mentioned in 3 blogs and 1 news according to the official website of the journal. While on social media total 309 shares, likes, and comments are recorded, on the Twitter it was tweeted 453 times.
Why Paper Retracted?
Journal recently retracted the research paper from the official website and also removed HTML content because of violation of publication policy. It was surprising for the research community that how a reputed journal can publish the duplicate content? The scientific reputation of the journal can be understood by the metrics given below;
|5-Year Impact Factor||4.629|
|Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP)||1.532|
|SCImago Journal Rank (SJR)||1.459|
Now, the Journal that has five impact factor how can publish this research paper? Which is completely a copy paste article of the original research paper published in Nature Journal. The questions obviously will raise on the plagiarism report generated by the technical staff. It is very clear that this plagiarism report ignored by the technical staff also and then further by peer team members.
Surprised now about the definition of predatory journals. Does this kind of publications in the reputed journals doesn’t create a doubt in the researchers and authors’ mind? The researchers lose the faith and obviously it affects the reputation of the Journal. Just withdraw the paper from the journal list is not sufficient by a reputed journal. It should ban the authors and affiliated institutions to publish the research papers in publications house. Also, this note should be on the retracted paper web link. So, the people who are involved in malpractices understand the impact of creating such scientific losses to the community.
Original Article Info
Original article published 01 January 2018 in Nature Journal with the title “Systematic investigation of the impact of operation conditions on the degradation behavior of perovskite solar cells” by the authors “Konrad Domanski, Essa A. Alharbi, Anders Hagfeldt, Michael Grätzel & Wolfgang Tress”. Nature Energy volume 3, pages61–67 (2018). Here, you can read the abstract from Nature article and then after from the Elsevier article, you can judge it in a better way.
- Before taking a reference to any research paper in your research article check its information on parent website.
- If possible check the journal status. Does the journal is providing all information to the authors and readers?
- If possible check the plagiarism of new paper which you listed in your account folder for the reference purpose (or in reference software).
- For the research publications, only Impact Factor matter! No, there are other parameters too, like last two to four years citation per document behavior of the journal. Paper published by reputed institutions and authors. Total citations and Self-citations, international Collaborations, Peer review team, and editorial team members.
- In collaborative research articles, an individual author has to check plagiarism report before submission the research paper to the publisher.
- The author (s) should read the publication policy and Instructions to authors before paper submission to any Journal.
- In submission form provide the complete details.
This post is written for scientific awareness purpose, no intention of the author of this post and website @apniphysics.com to harm the reputation of any journal(s)/publisher(s)/institute(s) and/or person.
- Effective Keywords are the Route of a Research Manuscript for Search Engines
- Does Institutional Research Scholars have to Use SEO for Research Papers?
- How to Write a Title and Increase Citation of a Research Paper?